Seriously, Right onto Your Head

Seriously, Right onto Your Head

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

First Impressions of The Last Remnant

I've been playing the Last Remnant and so far it's pretty sweet. I did have to install the game onto my Xbox to get rid of choppiness during the battles, though. But, whatever, that ain't no big deal. The voice acting beats the crap out of Infinite Undiscovery and the battles are more to my liking, there's an example included later in this post. But first, here's a few screenshots to give you an impression of the graphics and characters, etc.


Protagonist standing in one of the earlier game environments.


Bizarrely dressed king David, one of your homies. That's you on the right...or half of you.


Super fruity bad guy who keeps covering his face with a fan.


A bit of in-game commentary from this random girl on the king's clothing.


That looks to be one of the main baddies, giving us all a valuable lesson about women.

I haven't played much so I can't really go too deep into the details of the battle system, but basically you fight in groups of 4-5, giving each group a command like "attack with combat arts" or "keep your hp up" and the group acts accordingly. The battles consist of many encounters between groups of enemies and your "troops" or "divisions", this allows for different modes of attacking like flank attacks, or interference, where your men get in the way of an oncoming enemy group. You'll notice in the video when 2 groups approach each other it says "Deadlock", meaning that these 2 groups will fight until one has been terminated, or until one breaks the deadlock which has adverse effects on their damage, stats, etc. I don't know if any of that made any sense...I'm not even sure it makes sense when you're playing it, but it's turn-based and fun. Here's a video of a rather long battle, I think it's around 3 minutes. It showcases the basics of the battle system. See if you can keep up with the chaos...



No, there isn't supposed to be sound, can't figure that out on my digital camera, and yes, I did videotape myself playing video games.

More on this later.

No comments: